Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My new favorite book :)

On Sunday, G-rider and I shopped at a new AMAZING bookstore in the Galleria. All books at $5. Yes, you heard me correctly, $5. That was when I ran across this book. I started reading this book when I worked at Lifeway(I started reading alot of books when I worked there).

Here are some good key points I have picked through Chapter 2.
1. You no longer have yesterday. It slipped away as you slept. It is gone. You will more easily retrieve a puff of smoke. You can't change, alter, or improve it. Hourglass sand won't flow upward. The second hand of the clock refuses to tick backward. You no longer have yesterday.
2.We do to our day what I did to a bike ride. My friend and I went on an extended hill-country trek. A few minutes into the trip I began to tire. Within a half hour my thighs ached and my lungs heaved like a beached whale. I could scarcely pump the pedals. I'm no Tour de France contender, but neither am I a newcomer, yet I felt like one. After 45 minutes I had to dismount and catch my breath. Thats when my partner spotted the problem. Both rear brakes were rubbing my back tire! Rubber grips contested every pedal stroke. The ride was destined to be a tough one. Don't we do the same? Guilt presses on one side. Dread drags the other. No wonder we weary so. We sabotage our day, wiring it for disaster, lugging along yesterday's troubles, downloading tomorrow's struggles. Remorse over the past, anxiety over the future. We aren't even giving the day a chance.
3. You messed up yesterday. But you'll mess up more if you let yesterday's mistakes sabotage today's attitude.
This is probably the first book in a while that I have to actually pace myself in reading it. So good.

No comments: